Thursday, January 10, 2008

End of Gold Sellers (RWT) on Runescape?

As you probably know, Jagex has made some huge changes (not huge themselves, but with huge consequences) over the past few weeks. They've placed a trade-balance requirement in Runescape now. What does this mean? It means that if I'm giving you a rune plate (worth 65k) and you're giving me a rune hatchet (20k), the game won't let a trade occur. This is because the difference between the cost of the two items is too great.

Gold Sellers (RWT) used to trade in sums like 100 million gp, in exchange for nothing. So, Jagex's new update puts an end to all this real-world trading.

What would I do if I was a real-world-gold-seller? I'd start selling power-leveling. You know what that is, right? You pay me $100, and I train your boring Ranged skill stat from 20 to 60. Of course, with this, the risk is so much higher on the player's part. What if the power-leveling company steals the account and sells it on their website back to other players?

In the end, I'm happy that -something- is done to stop real-world-trading; however I'm not happy that the freedom of being able to trade with whoever you want for whatever item you want is now gone. I used to be able to casually give my friends armor and a weapon so we can go training. Or I used to be able to run to the bank for my rune-mining friends with their newly smithed items, and bring back ore for them to smelt at the furnace. Now, that's impossible.

That's okay though. There will be other games, and they will be fun. (Mechscape? or maybe games not made by Jagex)

Oh yeah, check out this blog that referred to this blog! People are actually linking to this blog now, how exciting! And finally, if you're planning on visiting Banff, click the link ;-)

Sphere: Related Content